My Velcro Dogs

My Velcro Dogs
Louie, Bradley and Echo

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Valuable Resource

We dodged a huge bullet tonight. When I came in from being out for a couple minutes, the TV remote was on the floor. Both batteries were missing. I frantically searched around for the batteries, while I called the emergency vet. They gave me the number for the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center.

I can't even explain what a wonderful service this is. I was connected with a vet almost immediately who walked me through everything. She told me to do what I expected I would have to; induce vomiting by feeding hydrogen peroxide. I was certain that if one of the dogs got the battery, it was Bradley. While we were on the phone, I found one of the batteries. That was a slight relief. Once I got of the phone and induced vomiting, I found the other battery! Thank goodness!

We had a near poisoning incident about a year ago with Louie. We were at my grandfather's house and Louie ate one of my grandfather's pills that had accidentally been dropped on the ground without anyone knowing. We were told to call regular poison control. It makes me much more comfortable knowing that there's a resource that is geared specifically towards animals. Although I certainly hope never to need to call again!

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

No comments: