My Velcro Dogs

My Velcro Dogs
Louie, Bradley and Echo

Friday, August 15, 2008

We got a LITTLE practice in today.

We just did a little work on "wait" and "come" from a distance. He's pretty reliable at as much as a 50 foot distance (as long as no one walks within 5 feet or so of him or as long as another dog isn't within 50 feet or so of him). We're back to the clicker and I hope it's consistent this time. Our last try wasn't but that was my fault.

He let another dog walk by (who he already met) while he was sitting but that was with me practically holding him in place. He may have stayed without me so close but I didn't want to set him up for failure so I played it safe. It was another Golden who is 8 months old and MUCH calmer than Bradley, as far as greetings are concerned. Bradley practically ate up the dog and his owner, he was so happy to meet them. He's doing pretty well with waiting to be released for a greeting (once I can get him to sit in the first place) but then he goes at it full force. I'm not sure if it's a puppy thing or if it's something that may present a problem in the future.

Anyway, the short time we did have to practice today went well. He's taken very well to the clicker training and as soon as I actually get some time to dedicate to building on it!

P.S.
Apparently Bradley has an unrelenting desire to jump on the bed because the past many times I've released him from whatever he was doing, he interprets "OK" to mean "Get on the bed". He just recently learned how to jump on the bed so I guess he's excited about making use of it. I don't mind him being on the bed, as long as he has permission :)

No comments: